Jan 18, 2012

Don’t censor the Web

It's been so long since my last post that I almost forgot my password for this blog....sigh. Two bills before Congress, the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House, would censor the Web and impose harmful regulations on business. These bills will change the Internet for worse forever.
Wikipedia is shutting down for a day in protest of PIPA/SOPA. PIPA is still up and SOPA is rumored to have been withdrawn to only to be reintroduced with some changed technical language. I wonder if there's anyone out there without an obvious conflict of interest who seriously thinks SOPA/PIPA are a good idea? I'd love to hear a coherent argument without an underlying cash motive. In the future, people will examine our decisions at this moment.
Too bad Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites did not engage in some type of demonstration as well. These systems have much more to lose than Wikipedia.